Rays of Consciousness

Insight into who I am? Hmm, one of my dearest friends said, "You need to get your t.v. watchin, greenery smokin, feline lovin, tree-huggin, no meat eatin, Goddess-adoring butt out of that bed and get to school! You hear me?!?" Of course I mumble and grumble in protest, mornings aren't my bag.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Well I did it! I'm no longer just a high school graduate but a college one now. Feels pretty nice to have that behind me after doing the work twice for this degree. I was so embarrassed though you all wouldn't believe it but Jeri and I got stuck in really horrible traffic that we not only missed our line-up but the actual walk to the seats too. It was HUMILATING to go around the center and quietly duck my way to my seat. Oh well though I was really only five minutes late but still the whole walk and everything was pretty vital to the ceremony, I felt horrible to learn dad was waiting to take a picture of me walking. The humilating feelings just wouldn't subside til finally a good forty minutes into the ceremony and then I started breathing normally again.

Aw sheesh of all times to be stuck in traffic. I was actually in the first row to walk up and get my 'degree' from the President of our college. Probably one of the first ten people to get the degree. They didn't do alphabetical order for some reason. Anyways, it was nice hearing all the screams of cheering and support when I got it, had to smile and as I walked down the ramp, raised my hands in the air with the degree as if to say FINALLY! Heheh. Of course, lots of pictures were taken with various people afterwards.

Some friends I wasn't expecting also showed up at Claim Jumpers to surprise me, some had drove from Long Beach, San Diego and Colorado. We had a long full round table of about seventeen people sitting and chatting away. Dad and Aaron (my brother), to the side of me and you wouldn't believe it....I am still swallowing this but Dad paid for EVERYONES' meal there afterwards! The bill had to have been over 300 to 400 dollars and I was protesting that they didn't expect him to do that and had every intention of paying for their own meal and several kept trying to give my dad cash but he was adamant about paying for the entire thing. "It's my daughters' graduation so back off" is what he kept saying. Very generous.
Got some nice cards, graduation gifts and all but I'd definitely have to say the CHAMP one will be getting a laptop from dad as a graduation gift. He'll be working on getting me one soon so that's real nice that I'll finally own a computer of some sort! No more telling friends "Well I gotta go in ten minutes my time will be up soon" good grief! I'm excited about being able to take it with me to like Starbucks and do my homework or research there and all. I've been so envious of those that have one while I studied my cards there.
Jeri and I had added rainbow tassels to our traditional ones and it was nice to wear that with 'pride' I normally don't really wear any rainbow stuff just because I've outgrown that for the most part. I was into that heavily at seventeen and at Gallaudet for the first time as some of you quite well remember. Had a few friends come over after dinner and play some games and hang out at my place. Here it is 5 in the morning and finally I can hit the sack after the last one has just now left. Only to wake up in three hours to say bye to dad and Aaron before they take off to the airport to go back home.
I really really had a blast with them and my friends. Felt very much loved and supported and it was just an awesome cherished feeling!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home