Rays of Consciousness

Insight into who I am? Hmm, one of my dearest friends said, "You need to get your t.v. watchin, greenery smokin, feline lovin, tree-huggin, no meat eatin, Goddess-adoring butt out of that bed and get to school! You hear me?!?" Of course I mumble and grumble in protest, mornings aren't my bag.

Sunday, February 25, 2007



Sorry folks, Blogging has escaped me lately. I've kept busy! I moved into a new condo two weeks ago and have been unpacking ever soooo slowly seems to be taking me forever. The kitchen is practically done and arranged how I want it finally. OMG what a kitchen! So much space and openness compared to my last place which some of you will remember! It has a breakfast bar with open space to put two bar stools there which is perfect and I got rid of desk and will begin working there. It also has a wood-burning fireplace YES! A washing/dryer stackable machine again, YES! And they will put in an A/C unit in May for the summer. Definitely an UPGRADE from my last place having all those amenities. Eventually I'd like to throw out my old couch for a nice size love seat and the living room will look cozier. Oh and I need a new bed frame now, grrr don't ask. Craigslist has some nice ones for sale when the time is right I'll go get one.

The picture above, I cut my hair to just past my shoulder length and she styled it straighten it all out. How weird it was, seeing myself with straight hair I cannot remember the last time it was styled like that, if ever.

I performed in the Vagina Monologues Feburary 10th and 17th. My character was a lawyer by day, dominatrix who performed for women only by night. That was alot of fun playing that character. I did impressions of different orgasms like for example the African American moan I signed and screamed "Raise the roof oh yes raise my rooooof!" haha and for the mountaintop moan I yodeled. I kid you not, I filled up that theatre yo yo yo yooddeeelll aaaaaa eeeeee oooohh!

We performed with one other person on stage, one hearing actor and one deaf actor for this play. The hearing actress her name is Rachel ha go figure! She begged me to yodel instead of her (we were switching off moans where she does one and I do one) said I did a way better job at it than she ever could. She's actually an author, her name is Rachel Snyder and she has written 365 Well Being Tips for Women. Check it out. She gave me an autographed copy. I think the best moan we did on stage together would be the doggy moan, where we panted at the same time and then she turned and I pretended to doggy style her. HA! The audience was great both nights, lots of laughter!

My social circle here is growing and I'm enjoying making quality heart to heart friendships with people here. I love my job, the responsibilities have expanded since I last blogged. I am now the Dance and Music teacher on Wednesday enrichment programs. I taught them basics of how to identify the beat and groove to it. Next week I will be introducing the 1920s music and build up from there to modern day music. We have some awesome guest coming later in the year, they expressed a desire to learn how to break dance so we asked someone in the community who is good at it to come show how to do that. Last year I only taught Art classes to 2nd and 3rd grade now I'm the Art teacher for pre-school through 4th grade. They also started me working with the preschool and kindergartners more too. I sign them a story everyday and get them talking about the characters and relating to it in real life, then help them settle down for their naps. Gosh the many hats I'm wearing at RMDS!

College....gosh that's another blog. I may have to fight at the national level with Colorado Department of Education and my college since they are telling me I cannot get my Special Education License to teach since I fail to pass "phonics testing" for the program. I've been seeking help from the Legal Center for Disabilities outside of the college and we're building ground work for a case. It's blatant discrimination. I have no desire to go into a school and teach phonics, I struggle as it is to enunciate all my sounds and words as it is in the hearing community much less is there a desire to be in that career field. I do however want to work with the special education non verbal population of children and that population is HUGE. Rather than applauding for grunts they make in relation to phonics, I'd like to be able to give them an alternative language in which they could find their voices easier, such as through adaptive technology devices, sign language, symbolic languages, gesturing etc. On my drivers license there is an R for restriction since I need glasses to drive. Why can't I get the same kind of license with an R saying I can work with the non verbal population but can't with the ones that are verbal. I wouldn't mind working in an Autism Center where sign language is promoted and encouraged, or with Deaf Plus children (Deaf with additional disabilities) and so forth...

Never thought I'd be fighting for the education and degree I want. I simply enrolled in school like any other student and have met most of the challenges and demands that the Special Education major curriculum demands of us, all but the phonics section. They list on every syllabus that the ADA will be effective on campus and accommodations can be made. When push comes to shove though you have to fight for those accommodations, they aren't really given.

Gallaudet teaches one semester of graphic phonics, I have asked the head of the Special Education department to contact Gallaudet and get that information, I'd be more than willing to tackle and learn it. I just want their expectations of me to be realistic. I'm never going to turn hearing and be able to identify with 100% how to break down words into phonemes and whatnot. It's like asking a blind man to study and pass color theory. It's ridiculous.

Guess that wasn't another blog! I poured it all out in this one. Well that's what I've been up to. Also getting DeafACT off the ground as well, we raised 17,000 for DOVE by performing in the Vagina Monologues, and an additional 2,000 for V-Day Campaigns. My mother and my brothers' girlfriend even attended! Mom had never heard of the Vagina Monologues and said "Nothing could have prepared me for your role in this, but I found you to be funny and you performed well" haha not too many people could be faking a bunch of orgasms in front of their mother, what helped was I didn't know which night she was going to come and I didn't ask.

I'm almost sad it is all over now. I could totally keep performing over and over I had so much fun with it! Well I need to zoom over to my place and unpack before Mya comes for dinner. I wanted to tidy up some too (but my kitchen is immaculate!) Will blog again later!

Ta ta for now!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger LARRY said…

    Yes, indeed, it's been a LONG time since you've blogged. I've always enjoyed reading what you've been up to.

    Dayum! You've been busy. There was a Vagina Monologue performance here at Gally about 2 yrs ago. It was a good performance. Wish I could've seen ya.

    Girl, fight with all you have in regards to the state certification. That's just unreasonable for you to do in order to pass. They should make an exception or at least, provide an alternative. So, keep us updated on that.

    Lotsa love!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home