Rays of Consciousness

Insight into who I am? Hmm, one of my dearest friends said, "You need to get your t.v. watchin, greenery smokin, feline lovin, tree-huggin, no meat eatin, Goddess-adoring butt out of that bed and get to school! You hear me?!?" Of course I mumble and grumble in protest, mornings aren't my bag.

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Most of you who know me know then that I embrace various kinds of 'spiritual' truth. I can draw strength and inspiration from even some hardcore Christian spiritualists. As a Priestess of the Old Ways, I am secure enough in my own spirituality that their offers of insight do not unhinge nor threaten my foundations. Indeed only in this web of interconnection will one realize that true richness comes when spiritual leaders find a harmonious ground in which to share their wisdom. Only when we allow ourselves to listen openly, will we begin to see the prism for which a myriad of truths can then be reflected. When rays of light kiss the prism gently, we manifest sparkling consciousness.

What I'm about to share with you is taken from a book I am reading entitled, The Wisdom of Letting Go: The Path of the Wounded Soul by Father Leo Booth.

I am realizing I am not responsible for how you feel.

This is a very hard lesson for me to learn. All my life I had grown up believing I was responsible for your happiness, joy, sorrow, excitement and tears. The list went on and on. I never really understood that you have a choice in life, and that you are responsible for your feelings.

Feelings were never really discussed in my home, church or university. Even when I went to theological college, and we had long lectures on spirituality, faith and relationships, the topic of feelings rarely, if ever, came up. I was ignorant of my feelings, and yours. I certainly did not know who was responsible for the feelings that always manifested themselves. It was easier to simply to blame myself!

The above statement tells me clearly that I am responsible for how I live, what I say, and the actions I take. This includes my feelings. But I am not responsible for the feelings you have. It is somewhat arrogant to assume I am responsible for your feelings, because they are yours!

Of course, the statement is not saying my actions, behavior, and speech do not affect you. One cannot live alongside another, or in a community, without being affected or influenced by others- but your response to life and people is yours. Your responsibility.

The force of this statement prompts people to examine where they are in their lives, and whether they are living and operating in a "safe place." Choice is a powerful spiritual word, and it is so intimately associated with responsibility. If we feel sad, happy, angry, joyous, guilty, etc., them we need to take responsibility for healing and nuturing those feelings.

It is no longer acceptable to blame others for your twenty years of unhappiness because spiritually we will be asked why we allowed ourselves to stay in those situations for so long. Equally, we will be encouraged to take pride in the joy and happiness we have created by staying in certain relationships with healthy friends and colleagues.

Truly we are learning the wisdom of the statement: "We teach people how to treat us." This includes and affects our feelings.

Prayer: Spirit God, who created me with feelings that need to be expressed in a healthy environment, today I accept and take responsibility for them.

I just found this segment of the book really empowering and wanted to share. Hope it has stirred or awakened consciousness within some or all of you. It certainly did for me.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home